Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pat Robertson is Haitful.

I am not sure if this was as appalling to you as it was to me, but I thought I'd go ahead and just write down some of my raw raging thoughts regarding the Pat Robertson fiasco. I know I should be shocked that a televangelist has once again said something stupid or contradictory of Christianity.

Before I go on any further into this rant, I would like to first turn my thoughts and prayers to Haiti at their time of great need. May we band together during the coming weeks and months to show the world that we CAN set an example of how to help our fellow humans.

OK, so when I was going to view the clip on YouTube, I thought for a second, "it can't be that bad." But then I heard him utter the words, "it may be a blessing in disguise..." and there all hope was lost. We're talking about potentially a hundred THOUSAND PEOPLE. I generally consider myself an optimist, but how is the death of 100,000,000 people a blessing? But it doesn't stop there, Mr. Robertson goes on (nobody knew why) to say that Haitians made a pact with the devil for their independence and that this was their punishment from God.

That is not only nonsense, but as Ambassador Raymond Joseph was interviewed by Rachel Maddow, he stopped for a moment to address the Robertson nonsense. He added that whatever the pact made with the devil is irrelevant, as the reason that USA was able to make the Louisiana Purchase for fifteen million dollars was due to the Haitian revolution from France in 1804.
Well, all Satanic speculation aside, Haiti is a nation who unprecedentedly gained Independence from slavery by overthrowing their European rule. I personally feel that this should have been more of a heartfelt truth to bind us with our neighbors, as we, too struggled in the beginning. But what precedence nobody mentioned is that Pat Robertson turned this devastation and suffering into the modern-day version of The Crucible, by Arthur Miller. It's times like this I'm really hoping that with enough people, we can turn the tides and support our fellow human-kind, instead of paying attention to the loud voices that say nothing.
Mr. Robertson seems to be a bit forgetful of what's actully in his God's rule-book. The bible says, Love your Lord God, and to love your neighbor as yourself.
(I know it's not verbatim, but that's what it means. If it's a huge deal, just look it up, yourself. ;-D )

Also if you notice, there is a link on the side, to the American Red Cross if you haven't yet found a way to contribute.
-Peace and Love,
Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment