Friday, September 24, 2010

Life Imitates Art

So today I had a pretty uninteresting day. It was productive, but not very interesting at all. Apparently I missed the flash-mob that assembled outside my apartment building, as well as a student getting shot. I had dinner with a friend, and then went home and started writing. I've found that it is just easier to write when somebody or something has stirred up emotions that make me uncomfortable. Jealousy, anger, sadness, vulnerability, etc. They always seem to unite to form the perfect recipe for music.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some Emo girl waiting for the next sad thing to happen; there's just some rare and personal energy that acts as the catalyst for my writing. I write all kinds of songs when I'm emotional, but it just comes easier than when I'm simply happy.

I'm enjoying today's gift of productivity, but tomorrow will need to skim over Mo Brownsey's book Is it a Date or Just Coffee? It's a worthwhile book to check out, especially if you've been handed a situation where (as the title implies) are you headed toward a date, or in the dreaded Friendzone. I think the gist of the book is that when in doubt, just ask.

Anyhow, I'm going to go write the song that will change the world, so have a wonderful day!
-Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment